- Chinese artist and political activist Ai Weiwei (pictured) is released from detention.
- Ban Ki-moon is re-elected for a second term as the Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- Former Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali is sentenced in absentia to 35 years in jail.
- RusAir Flight 9605 crashes in Petrozavodsk, Russia, killing 44 people.
- ICANN votes for an expansion of the available generic top-level domains, allowing owners to choose a suffix for the address of a website.
- Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo resigns from his position as Prime Minister of Somalia.