Jera denotes positive, recurring cycles, fertility and a time to harvest rewards from your hard work.
Traditionally called the High Priestess, this major arcana, or trump, card represents human wisdom. She can be viewed as a kind of female Pope, the ancient Egyptian Priestess of Isis, the even older snake and bird Goddesses, the Greek Goddess Persephone, or the Eve of Genesis before the Fall.
For the accused heretics who were burnt at the stake for revering her in the 14th and 15th century, she symbolized the prophecy of the return of the Holy Spirit, which was perceived as the female aspect of the Holy Trinity.
In the sequence of cards in the major arcana, the High Priestess appears as soon as the Fool decides he wants to develop his innate powers, making a move toward becoming a Magus. The High Priestess is his first teacher, representing the Inner Life and the method for contacting it, as well as the contemplative study of Nature and the Holy Mysteries.
It is a common Pagan and Wiccan tradition that, in order to show respect and gratitude for , gifts and offerings are being made. Each deity responds best to a certain type of gift so when making an offering always think about what the god represents. While, in general, offerings such as bread, milk and wine are appropriate for any deity, this question still arises: “What are the acceptable offerings and gifts to offer each deity?”
Based upon the types of gods, here are some suggestions for specific food, drink and herbs offerings you can make:
1. Gods of Hearth and Home
– Offer food such as bread and grains, salt and cooking oil
– Appropriate drinks are milk, wine and cider
– Herb offerings you can go for are rosemary or thyme
2. Love and Passion Gods
– Best food offerings are apples , honey and eggs
– Drink offerings: wine and fruit juice
– Herbs: lavender and sandalwood
3. Prosperity and Abundance Gods. It is recommended that you offer the following:
– Dairy products and grains
– Milk and beer
– Mint, catnip and pennyroyal
4. Nature and Garden Gods
– Bread, fruits, cornmeal
– Milk and water
5. Fertility Goddess
– Eggs and baked sweets
– Milk – breast milk too
– Rose, apple blossoms and sandalwood
6. Ancestor Spirits
– Offer any food and drinks from your family’s table and herbs such as sweet grass or sage.
“The Wayward Wiccan”