June 23: Corpus Christi (various Western Christian churches, 2011); Victory Day in Estonia; Jāņi in Latvia; Grand Duke’s Official Birthday in Luxembourg
- 1757 – Seven Years’ War: British forces under Robert Clive defeated troops under Siraj ud-Daulah at the Battle of Plassey, allowing the British East India Company to annex Bengal.
- 1887 – The Parliament of Canada passed the Rocky Mountains Park Act, creating Banff National Park as Canada’s first national park.
- 1919 – Estonian War of Independence: Estonian troops engaged the forces of the Pro-German Government of Latvia near Cēsis, Latvia, recapturing the area four days later.
- 1956 – Gamal Abdel Nasser (pictured) became President of Egypt, a post he would hold until his death in 1970.
- 1982 – Chinese American Vincent Chin died after being beaten into a coma in Highland Park, Michigan, US, by two automotive workers who had mistaken him for Japanese and who were angry about the success of Japanese auto companies.