Skip to content
In the news
- In response to ongoing protests in Morocco, King Mohammed VI (pictured) announces constitutional reform proposals to be voted on in a referendum.
- Ongoing flooding in the People’s Republic of China affects more than ten million people and causes more than US$3 billion in damage.
- Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati forms a new government.
- Ayman al-Zawahiri succeeds Osama bin Laden as al-Qaeda’s leader.
- Let the Great World Spin, by Irish writer Colum McCann, wins the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award.
- In ice hockey, the Boston Bruins defeat the Vancouver Canucks in game seven to win the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1972.